Special Education Teacher
Company: The Institute for the Redesign of Learning
Posted on: March 18, 2023
We are looking for a Special Education Teacher to work at our
Westmoreland Academy campus in Pasadena. This opportunity is
full-time at 40 hours per week.
Our Special Education Teachers work with students who have a wide
range of learning and emotional disabilities. You will inspire our
students to ensure that all students with disabilities grow to
their potential by providing academic support in a large group,
small group, and individual instruction by adapting general
education lessons to meet each students' needs. This support allows
our students to become competent, caring, and contributing members
of society.$6,031.46 - $7,144.93 per month*Salary range is
contingent upon relatable experience, credentialing/certification,
education, and use of a second language in your role (50% of the
time).You will need the following minimum qualifications to be
- Bachelor's Degree from an accredited institution and be
eligible for a temporary Special Education permit from the
Commission on Teacher Credentialing.
- 1-2 years of experience working with students in a school
- proficient in the use of modern office technology, equipment,
and procedures including Microsoft Office, Adobe, Zoom, basic
email, internet, and be able to learn and adapt to new systems and
- participate and complete CPI training and be able to utilize
all aspects of this training within a classroom setting when
- demonstrates interest in furthering professional development
and training experience with individuals and/or families with
- complete an in-house 10-week training program (Taking ChargeTM:
- be able to participate in the planning, organization,
implementation, and coordination of individual pupil and/or client
- be willing to actively support extra-curricular activities, and
is available for related services activities at IRL.
- access to reliable transportation and the ability to travel to
more than one site on any given day
- hold appropriate automobile insurance with limits that allow
driving a personal vehicle for work (25/50k liability
- participate in a CPI or other PBIS training and be able to
utilize all aspects of this training when necessary
- must clear a current background check through the FBI and
- a current TB Test (within the last 2 months).Preferred
- Possession of a valid preliminary or clear Education Specialist
mild to moderate credential with added autism authorization, or
moderate/severe special education credential from the Commission on
Teacher Credentialing is preferred.
- 1-3 years of experience in special education.
- Proven ability to work with individuals with severe language,
learning, emotional, and behavior disorders.
- bilingual in English/Spanish preferred, but not required.As a
Teacher at IRL, you will:
- Assess the student's skills and learning requirements as
- Develop related goals and objectives.
- Provide individualized instruction and support to students with
- Monitors student progress as described in student IEP's.
- Manage classroom crises and resolve conflict through the
development and implementation of appropriate behavior management
- Coach/mentor teacher associates and aides.
- Performs all other duties as assignedABOUT IRLThe Institute for
the Redesign of Learning (IRL) is a multi-service, community-based
Special Education, mental health, job development, and training
facility for special needs children, students, and adults. IRL
began in 1974 when its founder, Nancy J. Lavelle, Ph.D., created
the Almansor Education Center located in a church on Almansor
Street in Alhambra, California. With a belief that every student
has the ability to "take charge" of their own learning process, Dr.
Lavelle established a unique environment, individualized
curriculum, and created appropriate support and enrichment services
designed to turn student and client learning failures into learning
successes. Now over forty years later, the Institute for the
Redesign of Learning offers six programs designed to provide a
continuum of care for individuals with Special Needs, ages infants
through adults, serving children, students, and clients throughout
the greater Los Angeles and San Gabriel Valley communities.Our
Mission: To empower individuals of all abilities to take charge of
their own learning and lives, making it possible for them to be
competent, caring, and contributing members of society; and to
provide learning opportunities for families, professionals, and
communities to support those efforts.As part of our team, full-time
- health, dental, and vision insurance as well as a free $25,000
life and AD&D insurance policies (if eligible).
- up to 2 weeks paid vacation, 13 holidays, and 5 sick days.
- 403B retirement plan and medical and dependent flexible
- up to $2,500 in educational assistance and access to six
partner universities that offer tuition discounts.
- access to free employee assistant programs (EAP) 24/7.
- working with a team of dedicated professionals with a desire to
make an impact in the lives of at-risk individuals.
- ongoing professional development and professional growth
opportunities both in-house and up to $300 in CEU reimbursements.We
are looking for individuals who have the ability to:
- be proactive and have a solution-oriented approach to
- be an appropriate role model.
- thrive in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment.
- be flexible and embrace change.
- demonstrate emotional maturity and responsibility.
- innovate and act as an entrepreneurial self-starter.
- accept and value diversity.
- maintain a professional demeanor, attire, work schedule, and
- ability to analyze, organize, prioritize, and follow through on
all duties and tasks as assigned.
- further develop professional and technical skillsEnvironment &
Physical Qualifications: An employee may encounter a noise level
that is usually moderate to loud and from time to time and can be
emotionally unsettling due to the fact that we work with students
who have the potential to act out aggressively. The work
environment is usually comprised of adults, children, and
professional staff in an office setting. While performing the
duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand;
walk; sit; use hands and fingers to handle, or feel; reach with
hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee may occasionally
lift and/or move up to 20 pounds. Working at a computer up to
50-75% of total work hours. The employee may occasionally lift
and/or move up to 50-pound boxes. Specific vision abilities
required by this job include close vision, color vision, and the
ability to adjust focus.
http://www.redesignlearning.org/ - Facebook.com/
institutefortheredesignoflearning - Instagram.com/
redesignlearningInstitute for the Redesign of Learning is an Equal
Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate in employment and
personnel practices on the basis of race, sex, age, handicap,
national origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Hiring, transferring, and promotion practices are performed without
regard to the above-listed items.
Keywords: The Institute for the Redesign of Learning, Pasadena , Special Education Teacher, Education / Teaching , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...