Senior Facilities Mechanical Engineer
Company: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Posted on: September 12, 2018
Do you excel in an environment that values exploration and discovery? We have a universe of opportunities waiting for you!
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory (JPL) is NASA's lead center for robotic exploration of the solar system. Our core competency is the end-to-end implementation of unprecedented robotic space missions to study Earth, the Solar System, and the Universe.
JPL, located in Pasadena, California, has a casual, campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We are proud to be part of NASA and Caltech, as we explore the universe and make history through new discoveries.
We aim to do things never done before and to go places few can go. We dare mighty things---do you?
Will be a member of the Facilities Engineering Program Management Section and will report to the Supervisor of the Facilities Engineering and Design Group. Will be responsible for conducting client interviews, developing the scope of work, and providing budgetary/strategic/tactical justification for management review and approval.
Provide mechanical engineering design and support in the area of facilities modification and improvement. Interface and coordinate with JPL clients, partner with JPL organizations (safety, environmental, security, acquisitions, telecommunications, and information technology), facilities construction and maintenance personnel, and other facilities engineering and design team members, on the development and execution of Lab construction projects. Work collaboratively with JPL client and internal/external organizations to develop engineering schematics, cost materials and labor, develop project timeline, and maintain integrity of engineering specifications during actual construction. Develop and review designs, which are building code-compliant, JPL Design Standard-compliant, and align with industry best practices. Prepare construction documentation for either labor & material or competitive bid contracts using in-house and/or contracted personnel. Maintain documentation to enable replication of best practices in other facilities projects and satisfy compliance requirements.
- BA degree in Mechanical Engineering with nine years related work experience. Experience with facilities design/construction projects of moderate complexity; demonstrating originality and ingenuity.
- Experience in performing facilities engineering, working under general direction, for a variety of diverse full-service projects (i.e. small/large, simple/complex, short/long duration).
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Strong interpersonal, mediating, team working, and project organizational skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to principles of LEED and Building Commissioning.
- Competence with MS Word, MS Excel, MS Project, and AutoCAD. Working knowledge of Federal, State, and local codes.
- MA/MS degree in Mechanical Engineering with seven years related work experience. Or, PhD degree in Mechanical Engineering with two years related work experience.
- Professional license or registration. Minimum four years experience performing facilities engineering for multi-discipline facilities projects using contracted and in-house design and construction personnel.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, team working, and project organizational skills.
- Familiarity with Mechanical Engineering design and development of construction drawings for office and laboratory facilities.
- Familiarity with JPL policies and procedures as well as NASA/JPL facilities processes. Proficiency with AutoCAD drawing, scheduling, cost and specification applications used at JPL.
- Strong working knowledge of Federal, State, and local codes, ordinances, and JPL Facilities Design Standards.
Keywords: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena , Senior Facilities Mechanical Engineer, Engineering , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!