Senior Cable Harness Engineer
Company: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Posted on: November 6, 2018
OverviewNew ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That's our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search the universe for answers-literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission-your opportunity-is to seek out the answers that bring us one step closer. If you're driven to discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you're ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
SaveResponsibilitiesAs a Cable Harness Engineer, you will be working for JPL's Spacecraft Mechanical Engineering Section, which is responsible for the architecture of mechanical engineering designs and solutions that enable unprecedented missions and science acquisition. You will work with a team that leads the development of mission enabling technology and end-to-end mechanical systems for all JPL projects and missions. This job provides an opportunity to be a technical expert, take ownership of a task from detailed design to product delivery and be a representative for the harness discipline on a project. This is a unique job that involves both technical and programmatic opportunities. It offers an opportunity to showcase expertise in breadth and depth of technical knowledge as well as leadership and mentoring skills. The project is a rare and exciting opportunity to be at the leading forefront of new technology.
- Provide engineering expertise to the design, fabrication and integration of harnesses and represent the harness discipline on a project.
- Maintain cognizance of and is responsible for all technical and programmatic aspects of the product being developed and reporting the status and performance to the appropriate organizations.
- Assure the integrity of the harness from inception through delivery.
- Investigate, plan, design and develop harness to meet technical requirements in compliance with programmatic constraints including cost and schedule.
- Pro-actively communicate with multiple other subsystems to negotiate interface requirements.
- Interact with others to perform cross-disciplines trade studies and analysis of alternatives through application of discipline-specific expertise.
- Prepare and present harness subsystem design, architecture and implementation plans at various design team meetings and reviews.
- Bachelors degree in Mechanical, Electrical, Systems, Material Science, Aerospace Engineering or related technical discipline with typically a minimum of 6 years of related experience; Masters degree in similar disciplines with a minimum of 4 years of related experience; or Ph.D. in similar disciplines with a minimum of 2 years related experience.
- Wide-ranging experience and advanced knowledge in two or more of the following areas:
- Developing requirements including verification & validation methods at the harness subsystem level.
- Ability to communicate and negotiate interfaces with all other sub-systems (Structural, Thermal, Propulsion, Electrical Systems Engineering, Avionics, etc).
- Architect harness design to meet project and technical requirements.
- Detailed design of flight and ground support cable harness assemblies.
- Preparing and releasing drawings to fabricate and integrate harnesses.
- Developing implementation plans and manage cost and schedule for task.
- Experience with engineering oversight of fabrication and integration of harnesses on flight hardware.
- Advanced knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards across a range of applications related to Electrical connectors and wire for spaceflight applications, including Mil-Aerospace standards such as MIL-C-38999, MIL-C-24308, Mil-83513, and MIL-STD-1553.
- Demonstrated ability to lead a team, provide direction and mentoring to others.
- Detailed and hands-on based knowledge of fabrication processes and workmanship criteria for flight and ground support harness in accordance with JPL D-8208, NASA 8739.4 and SAE AS50881, IPC/WHMA-A-620A.
- Capability to own a harness task from early design through product delivery.
- Familiarity with software tools such as NX and Microsoft Access.
Keywords: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena , Senior Cable Harness Engineer, Engineering , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!