Lead Electronic Parts Engineer
Company: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Posted on: August 14, 2019
Job ID: 10216
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world.
That's our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search
the universe for answers-literally. We build upon ideas that have
guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire
generations to come. Your mission-your opportunity-is to seek out
the answers that bring us one step closer. If you're driven to
discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and
beyond, you're ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment
situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains
and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion,
foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Are you passionate about evaluating potential approaches and
solutions to new and unusual problems? How would you like to be a
member of JPL's Component Engineering & Assurance Office (CEAO) at
JPL? This section is responsible for reviewing all Electrical,
Electronic and Electromechanical Parts (EEE) parts for reliability
related performance and advises the projects on part selection,
conducts scientific experiments or theoretical analysis to
determine the physical behavior of parts in a space-like radiation
environment, oversees part procurement to ensure compliance with
engineering requirements and maintains part inventories. As an
Electronic Project Parts Engineer, you will be responsible for the
- Lead and implement the electronic parts program for flight
- Advise projects on the electronic part selection that maximizes
reliability while considering schedule and cost constraints.
- Lead the electronic part procurement to ensure compliance with
engineering requirements and maintain part inventories.
- Apply advanced understanding of electronic parts and project
risk to define part quality requirements at onset of project
- Estimate budgets for projects or large instruments that reflect
multifunctional and/or multidisciplinary scope and monitor
expenditures to assess the need for technical changes.
- Report on screening and/or failure test results and advise
senior management and project.
- Advise project management on highly complex electronic part
selections that maximize reliability while considering schedule and
- Report status for all elements of the electronic parts program
to project management at monthly and project reviews.
- Utilize the Part Acquisition and Review System (PARS) to manage
the parts program.
- Serve as a senior team member within the Group, ensuring part
reviews, screening, testing, and procurement meet project schedule
This position requires a Bachelor's degree in Electrical
Engineering, Physics, Materials Science/Engineering, Applied
Mathematics or related technical discipline with typically a
minimum of 9 years of related experience; a Master's degree in
similar disciplines with a minimum of 7 years of related
experience; or a PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 5
years related experience.
- Extensive understanding and experience in the selection,
procurement, manufacture, use and testing/screening of high
reliability electronic parts for space-flight applications.
- Ability to multi-task with an established track record of
meeting milestone schedules.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Deep understanding and substantial use of common computer
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to lead a multifunctional and/or multidisciplinary team
for a project, activity, or function
- Mentors and coaches others internal and external to
organization and inside and outside scope of responsibility.
- Applies wide-ranging experience and advanced knowledge to
provide leadership, oversight, and monitoring to all technical
products, services, and/or capabilities; provides assessment of
technical deliverables; resolves technical and resource issues.
- Knowledge of Military, NASA, and JEDEC specifications and
requirements related to electronic parts.
- Experience with various EEE suppliers/manufacturers.
- Has published results in refereed journals; presents and chairs
sessions at conferences.
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams, design
engineers, line management, and project management.
- Contract Technical Management experience.
- Ability to obtain TS/SCI security clearance.
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action
employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include
for employment members of underrepresented minority groups,
females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise
qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and
promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure
equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO
is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules
imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of
designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of
the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
The Designated Countries List is available at
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet
Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an
accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human
Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive,
Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109
Keywords: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena , Lead Electronic Parts Engineer, Engineering , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!