Controls Design Engineer
Company: Clean Energy
Location: Newport Beach
Posted on: October 23, 2019
TAKE OWNERSHIP OF AN INFLUENTIAL, IMPACT ROLE DESIGNING CONTROLS
SYSTEMS FOR NATURAL GAS FUELING STATIONS ACROSS THE U.S.
Work On A Variety Of Complex Design-build Projects To Deliver New
And Modified CNG And LNG Fueling Stations Per Company And customer
If you an experienced engineer with a solid electrical and
mechanical foundation and a strong controls design background,
including SCADA systems and PLCs, the role of Controls Design
Engineer with Clean Energy Fuels offers a compelling mix of
challenge and opportunity. Here's why:
* You will take ownership of an Important, influential role and
serve as the company's subject-matter-expert for control
* This is an Unusually visible position for an engineer. You'll be
seated in our corporate offices and will interface with leaders,
Sales, Sales Engineering, Operations, Commissioning teams and
others. You'll have the opportunity to demonstrate your talent and
Earn credibility and a good deal of respect.
* You will enjoy working on a Variety of complex projects,
primarily for fleet and municipal customers, across the nation.
While most projects are near one of the coasts, you could travel
anywhere within the contiguous United States.
* You're bound to add to your skill-set and Expand your experience
as you learn CNG and then LNG technology, if you are new to the
* Clean Energy is already changing the way North America fuels its
vehicles and you can help us lead the way, directly impacting our
mission of Promoting energy independence for our nation.
Clean Energy is North America's leading provider of natural gas
fuel for transportation and a global leader in expanding
international natural gas vehicle markets. With experience and
expertise built over more than a decade, we are committed to
helping our customers -- companies operating various fleets from
the logistics movement sector, to refuse and public transit, to
shuttles and taxi fleets -- gain the measurable economic and
environmental advantages of natural gas fueling.
To meet the basic qualifications for the Controls Design Engineer
opportunity, you will have legal authorization to work permanently
in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa
transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a strong fit for the role, you
will also need:
* 5-7 years of relevant professional design engineering and
controls experience. You'll also need strong foundation of
electrical and mechanical engineering knowledge.
* A bachelor's degree in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering; PE
license in California is desired but not required.
* Strong working knowledge of SCADA systems, HMIs and PLCs; ability
to design the interconnection of all communication and control
systems among equipment pieces.
* Ability to read and develop one-line, three-line, ladder logic
and wiring termination diagrams.
* Understanding of electrical hazardous areas is a strong
* The ability to read and revise P&ID diagrams is
* Strong AutoCAD skills required; AutoCAD Electrical preferred.
* Experience with PLC systems by Siemens, Horner and Allen-Bradley
* Microsoft Office Suite applications including Outlook, Word,
Excel, and PowerPoint.
* Experience with SKM Power Tools software is preferred.
* Experience and/or working knowledge of CNG (compressed natural
gas) fueling facilities, including CNG compressors, gas dryers,
valve panels and dispensers is desired; knowledge of LNG (Liquefied
natural gas) storage and dispensing is a plus. Experience in a
petroleum processing plant or similar could also be a good fit for
* Ability to work independently with limited supervision, while
also serving as a strong team member.
* Excellent interpersonal and written and verbal communication
skills, including a proactive approach and the ability to work
effectively with various internal and external stakeholders
* Strong analytical reasoning and problem-solving skills.
In addition to these requirements, you must be available to travel
up to 10% to job sites to assist Commissioning teams and ensure
systems are configured and working correctly. Typically, you will
be gone 2-3 days during startup of some, but not all, projects.
Reporting to the Supervisor, Engineering, as Controls Design
Engineer, you will play an essential role on the Engineering and
Construction team, serving as our sole Controls Design Engineer. On
a daily basis, you will design, develop, and draft control
engineering systems for fueling stations, including electrical
power systems, and ensure that these systems and processes operate
safely, effectively and efficiently.
The vast majority of your work will support customer-owned CNG
stations but you may also design control systems for new or
modified LNG fueling stations. You could work on less complex CNG
Fast Fill or Time Fill designs, but for the most part, you ll focus
on complex stations with complex control systems, built to both
Clean Energy's and customer-owner's specifications. You can expect
to have multiple projects (typically 4-5) in different phases (i.e.
design and development; review, permitting, QA/QC; construction)
More specifically, you will:
* Develop control systems for CNG fueling facilities, including
compressor and dispensing controls, data communication, fuel
management systems and interface with SCADA.
* Produce instrumentation drawings, single line diagrams and
electrical load schedules, develop block-wiring, ladder logic, and
P&ID and termination diagrams.
* Work with equipment suppliers to properly specify and manufacture
equipment in compliance with corporate standards and best industry
* Set best practices and standards for design of electrical
equipment, including mounting, component selection for, and layout
of control panels.
* Inspect purchased sub-assemblies and equipment for workmanship
and compliance with specifications.
* Provide technical guidance to less experienced engineering,
design, and drafting personnel.
* Facilitate and help coordinate activities of others to ensure
that control system installations and operations conform to
* Coordinate work of consultants and vendors.
* Prepare status and progress project reports for the Manager of
Engineering and company management.
* Advise management regarding engineering problems and recommend
ways to solve them.
* Work closely with management and colleagues to maintain and
improve the quality of our design drawings.
Keys to Success
We operate in a high-energy, high-expectations environment where
you'll enjoy the autonomy to do your work with minimal supervision,
as long as you deliver quality and accurate control system designs
on-time and follow your work through all project phases. To be
successful in our culture, you'll be self-motivated, ready to
engage and have an upbeat attitude. You'll need a sense of urgency,
follow-through, and a desire to learn and contribute. Flexibility
will be important because change is constant. Your communication
skills must also be strong as you work effectively across
functions, interact with an array of stakeholders, and work to
break down silos and understand what other departments need. In
addition, you will need:
* A passion for the work and a self-starter, proactive approach
* An unwavering commitment to safety
* The talent to excel in a fast-moving, deadline-driven
* Strong organizational and time management skills
Note: this description is intended to give you a general overview
of the position and is not an exhaustive listing of duties and
Clean Energy Fuels is an equal opportunity employer.
Keywords: Clean Energy, Pasadena , Controls Design Engineer, Engineering , Newport Beach, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!