Director of Diversity, Equity, & Belonging
Company: Union Station Homeless Services
Posted on: January 8, 2021
TITLE: Director of Diversity, Equity and BelongingDEPARTMENT:
Human ResourcesREPORTS TO: Senior Director of Human
ResourcesEMPLOYMENT STATUS: Full TimeREGULAR HOURS WORKED: 40 hrs /
Week, ExemptJOB SUMMARY:Reporting to the Senior Director of Human
Resources and serving on USHS's Leadership Team, the Director of
Diversity, Equity, & Belonging (DE&B) will design and implement
a holistic strategy to cultivate an enduring company with
individuals of diverse backgrounds at all levels, where all of our
employees are included, grow, and succeed.The Director of DE&B
will oversee essential practices and programs related to diversity,
equity and belonging (DE&B), bringing thought leadership, a
compelling vision for success, and continuing best practices in the
DE&B space. Leadership here will amplify USHS's work around all
aspects of DE&B, collaborating with key stakeholders in the
areas of: talent acquisition, employee relations, and learning &
development.The Director of DE&B will also have extensive
knowledge of laws related to equal employment opportunity,
experience working with federal regulators (EEOC, etc.), and
experience leading and championing diversity initiatives. The
Director of DE&B will be encouraged and supported by USHS to
remain up to date and current on applicable future laws and
regulations.In the absence of the Senior Director of Human
Resources, the Director of DE&B will act in a department head
capacity.ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS INCLUDE, but are not limited to the
- Serve as a thought leader in the organization on all aspects of
diversity, equity and belonging (DE&B), bringing innovative,
leading edge ideas and best practices to USHS.- 75% of Time
- Performing advanced and specialized human resources management
duties.- 25% of Time Allocated
- Act as a member of USHS's Leadership Team, the Director of
DE&B will contribute a high level of influence and
collaboration with a variety of departments. This includes, but is
not limited to driving leadership awareness, commitment,
transparency, and accountability for DE&B programs and
- Design and implement a holistic DE&B strategy establishing
key metrics and benchmarks to assess and measure results of
DE&B initiatives and provide a formal progress report on a
- Translate the broader DE&B strategy into progressive
practices and programs that reflect the best expertise in this
space - from increasing representation to ensuring USHS has an
inclusive culture that truly reflects our values of courage,
community, excellence, justice, resilience, accountability, and
- Work with key leaders and partners to improve DE&B in other
high priority areas of the organization, including:
- Talent Management/Learning & Development on internal course
offerings ranging from anti-racism training to leadership
development for key under-represented groups. Work in close
partnership on development and succession opportunities for diverse
- Talent Acquisition to pipeline and attract talent through
events, conferences, and partnerships with professional
organizations, educational institutions, local community groups and
- Analysis of key metrics and EEOC compliance requirements.
Recommend strategies for continuous improvement.
- Employee Experience on critical junctures of the employee
journey ensuring inclusion, development and retention of
- Collaborate with USHS's Employee Diversity Networks, providing
guidance as needed and ensuring these groups have the appropriate
resources.WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
- Lead the strategic design and implementation of a company-wide
diversity, equity and inclusion strategy that includes short-term
and long-term goals, action plans and metrics to assess and track
progress over time.
- Act as a coach to our leaders; shape their roles as DE&B
champions, ensuring they have the information, tools, and support
to ground their team culture and departmental operations in
diversity and inclusivity.
- Collaborate with USHS's Board of Director's Diversity Council
and USHS's Diversity Network Groups.
- Provide consultation and coaching to leaders, managers, and
employees on all areas of DE&B.
- Conduct on-going research on best practices and after analyzing
data, propose solutions. Act as lead advisor to, and collaborate
with HR staff on areas related to DE&B to drive the development
and implementation of strategies and tactics for diversity
recruiting, talent development and employee retention. Coach our
hiring managers on inclusivity in their hiring practices.
- Provide recommendations to USHS's management team on how to
incorporate DE&B strategies in staff succession planning
- Act as a sounding board for our employees on DE&B issues,
with a focus on ensuring our diverse employees have a "safe place"
to go to ask questions or discuss concerns and issues.
- Develop communications that increase employee engagement and
transparency regarding DE&B initiatives.SPECIALIZED HUMAN
RESOURCES MANAGEMENT DUTIES:
- Develops, revises, and implements HR policies and
- Works on special HR management projects
- Prepares and maintains specialized internal and external
reports as requested by immediate supervisor.
- Conducts periodic audits of human resources activities to
ensure compliance with laws, policies, and procedures
- Perform other duties as assignedEXPECTED PERFORMANCE
BENCHMARKS:Within 60 Days, You Will:
- Conduct an internal assessment of policies and practices, with
a specific focus on Diversity, Equity, & Belonging.
- Research and benchmark excellent industry practices to improve
diversity and equity within the company using data-driven
- Present findings to the Sr. Director of Human Resources and CEO
to develop a strategic plan of prioritized initiatives and
- Collaborate with USHS HR staff to review current hiring
practices and identify areas for diversifying our talent
pipeline.Within 180 Days, You Will:
- Be a thought-partner with USHS's HR Team and the functional
leaders to design performance standards that ensure opportunities
for success, development, and advancement for all employees.
- Develop a comprehensive DE&B pulse survey practice to gauge
the engagement of USHS employees.
- Work with managers and provided resources to build stronger
teams. Design and execute USHS's DE&B training and education
plan of action.
- Identify and start resolving complex employee relations issues
quickly and sensitively, exercising good judgment and
discretion.Within 365 Days, You Will:
- Be able to demonstrate how initiatives undertaken over the last
year have been fully integrated in the USHS culture have performed,
with metrics presented to support those findings.
- Assist with enhancing a USHS Leadership Development program
that incorporates USHS's DE&B initiatives which focuses on
providing USHS's next generation of leaders the tools they need to
grow to be dynamic and effective leaders.
- Refine USHS's long-term DE&B strategy to reflect
changes/improvements made in the past year.PHYSICAL AND MENTAL
REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Standing and sitting for long periods of time along with being
able to move and walk to various locations; climbing, stooping,
kneeling, reaching, pulling, pushing, bending, twisting, and
lifting (30-35 lbs.).
- Ability to clearly receive and give
- Complex reading and writing skills, memorization skills,
analytical/perceptive/comprehensive capabilities, judgment and
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquiries
- High level concentration and attention to detail for extended
periods of time required.
- Ability to quickly organize and communicate thoughts and to
understand communications from others.
- Ability to work independently, with others, around others, have
verbal contact with others, face-to-face contact with others,
prioritize work and make decisions.KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Stay up to date on general and specific knowledge of the
principles, practices and legal considerations of human resources
- Maintain current knowledge of federal and state laws regarding
employment law and regulations.
- Ability to develop long-term plans and programs relating to
human resources management.
- Ability to establish and maintain relationships with staff,
directors, and benefit consultants.
- Ability to present facts and recommendations effectively in
oral and written form.
- Ability to coordinate information systems using SQL server and
Microsoft Office application programs.
- Exceptional analytical and conceptual skills.
- Be a strong voice for diversity, equity, and inclusion at
- Effective in remote engagement with employees
- Advise, coach, and partner, with diversity in mind, with
leaders as they think through their management capabilities and
talent gaps within their respective teams while leveraging training
and development programs
- Design a metrics-based approach and processes to help create
insights and ensure effectiveness of our DE&B efforts
- Effectively communicate and be a strategic thinker with the
ability to articulate concisely complex ideas, unique concepts, and
proposals to engage teams, peers, and management.
- Ability to be resilient, flexible and creative in approaching
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, with high emotional
intelligence, strong relationship building skills, and the ability
to constructively provide feedback to staff
- Demonstrated skill in conflict resolution and problem solving
- Ability to lead with both courage and humilityVision and Goal
- Communicates DE&B organizational goals and objectives
- Aligns division tasks and objectives with DE&B goals and
- Roll up your sleeves to execute through the lens of DE&B,
the development of HR programs and processes such as workforce and
succession planning, learning and development, and performance
- Develops, adapts and uses different methods to help employees
to positively react to change
- Actively embraces change efforts and initiatives to improve
- Works with others to identify creative ideas to manage change
- Works to build support, remove organizational barriers and get
the necessary resources to implement changeSolving Problems
- Reframes or restructures problems in a different way, when
necessary, to solve them
- Uses collaborative approaches to increase creativity and
- Has an awareness of demographic trends and both generational
and cultural differences when working with prospective and current
employees.EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE:The ideal candidate
would have a passion for building robust Diversity, Equity, &
Belonging (DE&B) programs to support an increasingly diverse
community and fostering an inclusive culture.You have collaborated
with senior leaders and employee resource groups to develop
DE&B strategies, programs, and initiatives and have been
successful in helping to attract, develop and retain diverse
talent, which promotes an inclusive organizational culture. You
love to leverage all available resources and continually look for
new ideas, partnerships, and resources, in order to bring the best
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration
or related subject.
- 5-7 years of experience in Human Resources including a minimum
of 2-3 years in a senior HR management role, and at least 2-3 years
focused on Diversity & Inclusion
- 5 years of HR project management experience.
- SPHR or PHR certification or equivalent preferred.
- Prior completion of coursework/trainings and or workshops
related to diversity and inclusion preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,
- Strong demonstrated written and verbal communication and
presentation skills with extensive experience communicating at the
management level.An equivalent combination of the above education
and experience is acceptable.The Benefits
- Full benefits package includes medical, dental, chiropractic
and disability insurance with supplemental plans available for
vision, accident, life, and pet insurance
- Holidays, vacation and sick pay
- Retirement plan
- Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition reimbursement program. Union Station Homeless Services
is an Equal Opportunity EmployerUnion Station Homeless Services
(USHS) is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to their race, color, religion, genetic information, national
origin and ancestry, sex/gender, sexual orientation, gender
identity and expression, age, mental or physical disability,
marital status, pregnancy, military and veteran status or medical
Keywords: Union Station Homeless Services, Pasadena , Director of Diversity, Equity, & Belonging, Executive , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!