Quality Assurance Manager
Company: Giant Magellan Telescope
Posted on: August 1, 2022
Title: Quality Assurance ManagerElement: Quality
AssuranceSupervisor: Project ManagerType: Full timeLocation:
Pasadena, CA (temporary remote work due to COVID-19)Job Summary:The
GMT Quality Assurance Manager will be responsible for implementing
a robust Quality Assurance (QA) program for the GMT project that
includes implementing a comprehensive Quality Management System
(QMS), quality control and inspection, non-conformance tracking and
assessment; risk analysis and assessment, and problem/failure
reporting. The QA program will cover all aspects of the GMT
Observatory, including optical and structural elements; electronic
parts; software; opto-mechanical assemblies; drives, bearings,
mechanisms, and other moving parts; and contamination control. The
scope of the work involves developing the quality assurance
requirements and plans and overseeing their implementation across
the GMT team, including partners, subcontractors and suppliers.The
Quality Assurance Manager will work closely with the GMT Safety
Manager to ensure the reliable and safe construction and operation
of the GMT Observatory.This position will require both domestic and
international travel to various locations where work is being
performed, including the Observatory site in Chile.Job Duties:
- Plan, develop and implement the GMT Quality Assurance Plan,
tailored appropriately to the needs of the project.
- Implementation of a comprehensive Quality Management System
following industry best practices and conforming to an ISO9001
- Ensure all aspects of product quality assurance by developing
and monitoring adherence to technical, process, materials, and
testing standards, as well as best practices.
- Provide management oversight and audits of subcontractors and
suppliers to determine compliance with appropriate standards,
regulations, and best practices.
- Develop and implement a problem reporting and waiver system
tailored to the needs of the project.
- Work with construction management and project management
professionals to develop and implement independent certified
inspection procedures for the civil construction of the GMT
- Participate in design reviews to address quality assurance
- Support project management in assessing, managing, and
mitigating risk throughout the project life cycle, and supporting
the implementation of project risk management plans.
- Evaluate subcontractor and supplier QA and manufacturing plans
during selection processes.
- Negotiate with the project manager the appropriate resources
and managing the effort within that budget.
- Report, on a regular basis, tracking metrics and other data to
assess performance of the Quality Assurance program, including
budget and schedule performance.Essential Skills, Knowledge, and
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree in Quality Management or Quality
Assurance or related discipline
- Minimum of 5 years of professional experience with quality and
reliability practices for large and/or complex projects.
- Knowledge of product assurance standards, regulations, and best
- Experience with nonconformance processes including material
review boards, failure review boards, problem/failure reports, and
- Previous experience with quality management standards such as
ISO 9000/9001 for hardware and software.
- Previous experience working in an engineering environment and
interfacing with highly technical teams.
- Experience at performing/managing multiple tasks concurrently
and resolving conflicts.
- Demonstrated technical, leadership, interpersonal skills and
comfortable working with all levels of a team-oriented technical
- Prior experience developing budgets, tracking costs and working
with financial systems and tools.
- Excellent written and oral communication and presentation
skills with the ability to read, analyze and interpret technical
procedures and standards.
- Expertise with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel,
- Capable of accepting overall accountability for cost, schedule,
and technical performance of the Quality Assurance program.Desired
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities:
- Master's degree in Quality Management or Quality Assurance or
related discipline required with a minimum of 7 years of
professional experience with quality and reliability practices with
large and/or complex projects exceeding $100 million in capital
- Previous experience developing training programs on quality
assurance/quality control topics
- Ability to speak and read SpanishIf your skills and experience
appear to be a match or if we need additional information to make a
decision, we will contact you. If we do not see a suitable match
between your qualifications and the position, we will keep your
information on file in the event future positions become available
that are more suitable to your qualifications.
Keywords: Giant Magellan Telescope, Pasadena , Quality Assurance Manager, Executive , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!