Director Research Division
Company: Kaiser Permanente
Posted on: August 4, 2022
You and your team will play a critical role running more than
2,500 studies and clinical trials that could profoundly impact the
future of health.Director Research Division Primary Location
Pasadena, California Job Number 1018168 Date posted 03/10/2022
Develops and directs processes, policies, procedures (i.e., SOPs),
guidelines, and strategic objectives to streamline and enhance
research and grant administration activities in the scientific
divisions (Epidemiology and Biostatistics Research / Health
Services and Behavioral Research) of the Kaiser Permanente Southern
California (KPSC) Department of Research & Evaluation (R&E).
Recruits, hires and supervises 50-75 divisional staff in
collaboration with the Scientific Division Director, Support Unit
group leads, and Research Scientists, and oversees financial
management and development, including annual budgeting, and pre-
and post-award management of large grants and contracts from the
federal government and other sources. Coordinates project staffing
needs, space allocation, logistics, purchasing, and communications
with R&E Support Units Directors and Managers. Works in
partnership with the R&E Scientific Division Directors, R&E
Support Units Directors and Managers, Research Scientists, and the
other Director Research Division. Reports to the R&E Senior
Director. In sum, this position is designed to support the R&E
Scientists in the administrative functions of their research.
- Collaborates with other Director Research Division to ensure
consistency across units and to share best practices.
- Provides strategic leadership to division for administrative
- Oversees management of divisions timekeeping and payroll
- Develops and provides documentation of SOPs for new procedures
as appropriate to enhance the coordination and efficiency of
administrative activities in R&E.
- Coordinates divisional communications (e.g., web content,
governance documents, employee communications). Acts as liaison for
other communications as needed (e.g., press releases, issues
management, marketing collateral).
- Manages divisions contracting requirements for consultants
- Conducts assessments and improvement/development plans for
R&E administrative functions.
- Collaborates with Departments Research Compliance Officer to
manage activities, including a risk management process and
compliance oversight and reports.
- Proactively assesses division staff training needs and
administers training implementation plans in collaboration with
Directors and Managers of Research Support Units.
- Oversees divisions staffing needs and collaborates with KPSC
- Directly or indirectly manages employees across disciplines and
- Maintains good working relationships with key KP entities
outside of R&E, including Kaiser Foundation Research
- Fosters and maintains relationships with federal and nonfederal
- Maintains current information and knowledge of all applicable
KP policies, local, state and federal laws and regulations, and
- This job description is not all encompassing. Basic
- Minimum five (5) years of experience facilitating research
administration within a large organization required. Research
administration should include research with human subjects.
- Minimum three (3) years of experience in progressively
responsible management positions including administration, budget
development and oversight, human resources management, liaison
activities, and strategic leadership required. Education
- Bachelors degree in business administration, health policy,
public administration, public health, or related field required.
License, Certification, Registration
- N/A Additional Requirements:
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office software applications, email
- Demonstrated high ethical integrity, and collaborative and
- Expertise in development and management of large federal and
non-federal (e.g., industry, foundation) grant funding,
contracting, and administration processes.
- Business, managerial, and leadership skills and demonstrated
ability to collaborate.
- Proven ability to function in a complex business and compliance
environment including expertise in GAAP and applicable OMB
- Demonstrated ability to produce workable solutions to
- Ability to analyze and interpret financial statements and
- Effective written communication skills and verbal communication
skills including one-to-one, small group, and public speaking
- Must be able to work in a Labor/Management Partnership
environment. Preferred Qualifications:
- Masters degree in health services administration, business
administration, health policy, public administration, public
health, or related field preferred.
- Certified Research Administrator (CRA) preferred. Primary
Location: California,Pasadena,S. Los Robles Administration
Scheduled Weekly Hours: 40 Shift: Variable Workdays: Mon, Tue, Wed,
Thu, Fri, Sat, Sun, Working Hours Start: 08:00 AM Working Hours
End: 05:00 PM Job Schedule: Full-time Job Type: Standard Employee
Status: Regular Employee Group/Union Affiliation:
NUE-SCAL-01-NUE-Non Union Employee Job Level: Director/Senior
Director Department: Regional Offices - Pasadena - Clincl Resrch
Supt Stff Admin - 0806 Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time Kaiser
Permanente is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse
and inclusive workforce. Applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex (including
pregnancy), age, sexual orientation, national origin, marital
status, parental status, ancestry, disability, gender identity,
veteran status, genetic information, other distinguishing
characteristics of diversity and inclusion, or any other protected
Keywords: Kaiser Permanente, Pasadena , Director Research Division, Executive , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!