Sr. Software Engineer - Rendering
Company: Walt Disney Animation Studios
Posted on: January 15, 2022
At Walt Disney Animation Studios we have a deep commitment to
the philosophy that creativity inspires technology, and technology
inspires creativity. Engineers in our Production Technology
department are charged with developing and implementing new
algorithms to solve unique and challenging problems for all of our
animated content. We do this working alongside a user base that
shares a collaborative environment with us, and uses the code we
We are looking for a talented developer to work on Hyperion, our
physically based path-tracing renderer. In this role, the ideal
candidate will partner with artists, production leadership,
technical directors, other software engineers, and technology
leadership on the design and implementation of new workflows and
capabilities motivated by the needs of content production at Walt
Disney Animation Studios.
The developer filling this role would use a variety of techniques
including new rendering algorithms, high performance parallel
computation, highly efficient data representation, and computer
graphics algorithms with associated artist workflows. In-depth
understanding of the requirements and relationships for data
authored and consumed by production will allow the developer to
provide full rendering solutions to all studio
departments.Responsibilities : What does it mean to be a developer
here at WDAS?
- Our engineers get the opportunity to work on the full stack of
our tools, from developing the underlying algorithms through
building intuitive artist-friendly interfaces.
- Work hand in hand with artists to make the tools we need for
the incredibly complex and rich characters and environments
featured in our movies.
- Develop on top of a highly performant, extendable in-house
- Develop new artist-centric interaction models using the latest
hardware and technologies.Key Qualifications
- Ability to design and develop complex user facing rendering
software, in a studio environment. Able to demonstrate strong
software design and engineering skills.
- Passion for physically based rendering and global
- Fluency in C++ and experience with performance tuning and
debugging of parallel vectorized code.
- Ability to develop and optimize algorithms for efficiency and
- Deep understanding of computer graphics foundational concepts,
algorithms, and related artistic workflows.
- Understanding of parallel programming models and
- Exemplary communication, team working and problem-solving
skills, balancing the timeliness of solutions with their
sustainability. Ability to prioritize competing demands based on
business value. Ability to engage with artists to understand their
requirements and infer practical solutions.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical
Engineering, or other related field required.Bonus Qualifications
- MS/PhD with specialization in Computer Graphics or comparable
industry experience in a research, studio, or games environment
preferred.Additional Information : DISNEYTECH
Keywords: Walt Disney Animation Studios, Pasadena , Sr. Software Engineer - Rendering, IT / Software / Systems , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!