Scientist, HSC Biology
Company: CSL Behring
Posted on: March 18, 2020
About CSLWith operations in 35+ nations and - 22,000 employees
worldwide, CSL is driven to develop and deliver a broad range of
lifesaving therapies to treat disorders such as hemophilia and
primary immune deficiencies, and vaccines to prevent influenza. Our
therapies are also used in cardiac surgery, organ transplantation
and burn treatment.CSL is the parent company of CSL Behring and
Seqirus. CSL Behring is a global leader in the protein
biotherapeutics industry, focused on bringing to market
biotherapies used to treat serious and often rare conditions. CSL
Behring operates CSL Plasma , one of the world's largest collectors
of human plasma, which is used to create CSL's therapies. Seqirus
is the second largest influenza vaccine company in the world and is
a transcontinental partner in pandemic preparedness and a major
contributor to the prevention and control of influenza globally.We
invite you to take a look at the many career possibilities
available around the globe and consider building your promising
future at CSL by becoming a member of our team!Job DescriptionThe
Scientist, HSC Biology, will be a critical team member of the
Bioanalytical and Assay Development team within CSL Behring's gene
therapy program. (S)He will develop, troubleshoot, qualify and
validate test methods from first principles for characterization
and product release of cellular and gene therapies. Summary of
- Develop cellular and molecular assays comprising the following
skill sets and techniques- isolation and culture of primary human
CD34 HSPC. In vitro expansion and lineage differentiation cultures,
CFU, functional potency assays, immunophenotyping and functional
- Develop single cell and high throughput molecular screens of
small molecules that enhance transduction and HSC self-renewal and
long term engraftment.
- Develop Biochemical and multiplex immunological assays.
- Troubleshoot assay methods as required
- To qualify and validate molecular and cellular analytical
methods according to established guidelines.
- To provide analytical support of product development
activities, release tests, and/or patient sample analysis where
required and report results
- To transfer assays internally and externally where
- To maintain laboratory quality systems and records of
- Develop analytical methods suitable for characterisation,
release testing, and stability testing of cell therapies
- Qualify and validate analytical methods for release testing and
stability testing of cell therapies
- Prepare test procedures, standard operating procedures (SOPs)
and data collection forms, where required.
- Present progress updates and experimental results at project
- Work independently and as part of a team
- Consult/Collaborate with other scientists as required on assay
design and execution to leverage resources and make use of other
- Perform Technical Transfer of methods in and out of
- Seek out and research new technologies and laboratory practices
to enhance the groups capabilities and to be aware of and utilize
as appropriate, current international standards
- Maintain records of all laboratory work to Good Scientific
Practice (GSP) and Good Manufacturing Practice (GMP) standards, as
- Implement and support Quality Systems within Bioanalytical
Sciences, and ensure department compliance with GSP and GMP
standards, as appropriate
- Initiate change controls for documents or procedures, closing
out change controls by training of staff.
- Ensure routine maintenance and repairs on scientific
instrumentation, as required.
- Ensure critical instruments are calibrated and calibration
- Ensure high safety standards within the areas of responsibility
are taken into account and adhered to as governed by local, state
and federal regulations, laws and policies as well as CSL's
policies and directivesJob Environment
- Work will be performed in the Pasadena Laboratory Facility. The
position involves both laboratory and office duties.
- Excellent interaction with other Departments, R&D, and
- Working hours, some off-hours work when necessary. Essential
- A Ph.D degree in molecular biology, immunology, microbiology,
biomedical engineering, or a related field, including relevant
- At least three years laboratory experience in biomedical
research with an emphasis on assay development and analytics.
Expertise in Hematopoietic Stem and Progenitor Cell (HSPC) Biology,
Cellular and Gene Therapy is preferred.
- Candidates with a strong record of scientific accomplishments
are preferred.Essential Skills, Knowledge & Attributes
- Expertise in HSPC biology, isolation and culture of human CD34
HSPC from mobilized peripheral blood, BM MNCs. Cell subset
enrichment, hematopoiesis, and HSPC transplantation.
- Experience in multicolour flow cytometry and immunophenotyping,
including advanced data analysis and visualization tools.
- Experience in viral gene transfer, transduction, transfection
of reporter constructs, si/shRNA screens, gene editing
- Experience in DNA and RNA isolation, qPCR, RT-qPCR, multiplex
qPCR, ddPCR, and recombinant DNA methods.
- In depth understanding of Next Generation Sequencing
technologies, scRNA-Seq methods, and bioinformatic analyses of NGS
- Competence in data analysis and statistical methods
- Scientific report writing and presentation skills
- Outstanding verbal and written skills
- Writing SOPs and assay qualification/validation plans.
- Good Documentation Practices
- Understanding of GLP/GMP/GCLP regulatory requirements in cell
and gene therapy.
Keywords: CSL Behring, Pasadena , Scientist, HSC Biology, Other , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!