Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute
that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most
innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We
thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are
passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse
Job Summary This work will seek to improve our understanding of
how coupled ocean-atmosphere-ice processes impact air-sea exchange
in the Southern Ocean on decadal time scales. The project will seek
to attribute changes in Southern Ocean carbon uptake in 2050 to
variations in atmospheric wind patterns, ocean surface boundary
layer characteristics, sea ice extent and concentration, and
atmospheric boundary layer turbulence. We will quantify the
uncertainty associated with each of these processes.
Job Duties – Responsible for the characterization and evaluation
of a high resolution global ocean state estimate.
– Lead the scientific analysis of the numerical simulations
focusing on upper ocean circulation properties and ocean-ice
– Ability to collaborate closely with other investigators on
– Responsible for contributing to presentations and publications
of research results.
– Contribute to the training of the undergraduates, graduate
students and postdoctoral scholars in the group and attend group
Basic Qualifications – Ph.D. degree in physical oceanography,
atmospheric sciences, fluid dynamics, applied mathematics or other
– At least five years of experience in physical oceanographic
– Active member of the oceanographic community who has a strong
publication and presentation record at national and international
– Experience working with large data sets, coding with Matlab or
other similar programming software.
Preferred Qualifications – Familiarity with remote sensing data,
especially in an oceanographic context, and a background in upper
ocean circulation processes.
– Has a significant research background in Southern Ocean
circulation and high-latitude oceanography.
– Experience analyzing oceanographic observational data.
Required Documents – Resume
EEO Statement We are an equal opportunity employer and all
qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability
status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic
protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
If you would like to request an accommodation in completing this
application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the
employee selection process, please direct your inquiries to Caltech
Recruiting at email@example.com .