Who We Are:
Southern California Public Radio (SCPR) is a member-supported
public media network whose mission is to strengthen the civic and
cultural bonds that unite Southern California's diverse communities
by providing the highest quality news and information service on
air at 89.3 KPCC, online at LAist.com and through KPCC In Person.
Since our founding in 1999, SCPR has been a fast growing,
innovative, multi-platform public service newsroom. Every day, our
staff helps audiences catch up on the latest headlines, solve the
complexities of life in Southern California, and connect curious
communities to one another.
The Investigations Editor leads, edits and guides a team of
reporters to create compelling investigations that spur change in
The senior editor will supervise two full-time investigative
reporters and a third reporter on an investigative reporting
rotation. You will also work closely with a Data Editor and play a
key role in sharpening investigative and enterprise stories
You'll shape ideas, deepen reporting and look for creative ways
to tell stories across multiple platforms; radio, digital, on
demand and live events. You'll be an advocate for collaborating
with other newsrooms and the communities we cover.
The senior editor should offer a track record of reporting,
writing and editing in-depth enterprise or investigative stories
that reveal wrongdoing and injustice. Interest and aptitude in
using computer programming to creatively approach investigations is
key. A collaborative spirit is also a must.
As a manager, you'll spend time providing actionable, consistent
feedback. We value teamwork, creativity, and a willingness to learn
new forms of storytelling that meets the community where they
The KPCC/LAist newsroom is deeply committed to producing
distinct, original reporting that stands out in the crowd. We
believe engaging with our audience throughout the reporting process
can result in coverage that better reflects and listens to the
concerns of our audience. We also believe they know things that can
lead us to groundbreaking work if we're talking to them
In this role, you will work in tandem with the Executive and
Managing Editors in reaching that goal and expanding the ambition
of our report.
We're looking for an editor who gets excited about digging into
the ways systems are failing Southern Californians. If that sounds
like you, we encourage you to apply, even if you don't tick off
- Consistently generates ideas and avenues of inquiry for
- Work with spreadsheets, databases, SQL and other technology
tools for data reporting.
- Edit reporters for accuracy, fairness and accountability.
- Embrace the organization's commitment to diversity, equity and
inclusion in the selection, reporting, editing, presentation and
distribution of stories.
- Experience editing audio scripts (if not come with a
willingness and ability to learn.)
- Advise on investigative angles within breaking news
- Advise KPCC/LAist beat reporters and editors on investigative
- Provide clear guidance, feedback and supervision to assigned
- Create development opportunities and individualized development
plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster
- Communicate transparently and consistently with all platform
leaders for purposes of collaborative production
- Ensure that grant funded KPCC staff execute deliverables
- Seek collaborations and regional partners and work with the
California Hub investigative editor
- Work with the Data Editor to coordinate training opportunities
for KPCC/LAist editorial staff including data assisted reporting,
document retrieval, etc
- Lead regular instructional sessions on investigative techniques
for the KPCC/LAist newsroom.
- Work with audience insights manager to make data-informed
- Assist in the expansion of our investigative team, as resources
- Encourage creativity and high standards.
- Coordinate with senior managers to assist in funding
- Represent KPCC/LAist at public events.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- Minimum five years' reporting or editing experience, with two
- Experience in maintaining high journalistic standards under
deadline pressure, including standards of objectivity, balance and
- Some experience providing work direction or supervisory
- Some experience assigning stories and editing copy
- Experience with digital audio editing systems.
- Experience with digital news production and presentation.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Strong writing, editing, and radio production skills
- Knowledge of radio, digital, and print style.
- Ability to make decisions on deadline, direct coverage and
communicate effectively with colleagues and supervisors.
- Ability to effectively execute multiple assignments on
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to develop high
- Ability to consistently work well with others and to inspire
and lead the staff.
- Strong communication skills and passion for building community
relationships via networking both in-person and through social
- Editing skills: has an understanding of need for interpretative
reporting on complex issues.
- Ability to develop complex story ideas that provide analysis
and add context.
- Ability to recognize and act on opportunities for tapping
audience expertise and other news resources.
- Ability to use non-traditional approaches, including community
engagement tools/methods, crowdsourcing and digital newsgathering
- Well-established contacts and knowledge of the journalism
- Commitment to public service journalism.
- Communicate effectively and cordially with colleagues across
- Juggle multiple projects and deadlines.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Fluency in Spanish or other languages commonly used in Southern
- Experience reporting in Los Angeles.
Reporting To This Position:
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- Must be able to perform the essential duties of the position
with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to manage some work outside of standard office hours as
- Physical Demands:
- Required to move about in an office environment and sit for
extended periods of time
- Required to move about in the community
- Frequent use of hands for data entry/keystrokes and simple
- Working Conditions:
- Moderate noise level
Diversity creates a healthier atmosphere: All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, protected
veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender
identity or expression, marital status, genetic information, or any
other characteristic protected by law.
We are committed to hiring a breadth of diverse professionals
and encourage members of diverse groups to apply.