Archaeological Field Director (Project Archaeologist - On Call Hourly)
Company: Swca Inc
Posted on: June 6, 2021
About the opportunity
Do you thrive in the pursuit of ensuring excellence in
environmental consulting services based in sound science and
creative solutions? SWCA Environmental Consultants is expanding
their team and looking for dynamic individuals who are following
their passion in delivering the highest-quality project work.
SWCA Environmental Consultants is seeking an Archaeological
Field Director within our Cultural Resources Program for our
Pasadena office. Under supervision of the Archaeological Team Lead
and Project Manager, a Field Director performs field and office
tasks while working with and supervising crew members.
Field Directors manage all aspects of fieldwork, supervising one
or more crews of archaeological surveyors, monitors, or excavators.
Field Directors may also assist with office-based tasks, including
the preparation of site forms and technical reports. Pay rate will
be based on individual qualifications and experience. Some projects
include overtime hours or prevailing wage rates.
Anticipated fieldwork will occur throughout southern California,
as well as central and northern California and Nevada, including
within active U.S. military facilities. The candidate may be asked
to submit to background screening in order to work on these
facilities. Candidates local to southern California are strongly
What you will accomplish
- Supervise fieldwork, including archaeological survey, testing,
data recovery, and/or construction monitoring and ensures quality
and completeness of data collected.
- Data QA/QC, organization, and tracking; field GPS data
collection using tablets and/or Trimble units
- Ensure that appropriate preliminary research is conducted and
organized prior to fieldwork, and that necessary equipment, staff,
and other resources are ready for fieldwork.
- Create and maintain good morale in the field crew and mentor
- Field Directors may also assist with office-based tasks,
including performing Class I literature reviews, research, site
form and technical report preparation.
- Communicate regularly with the Project Manager to ensure that a
project's budgetary and timetable needs are met.
- Assist Project Managers with developing and tracking scopes,
schedules, and budgets.
- Work with Project Managers and field personnel to create a safe
and healthy work environment.
- Take initiative, resolve problems, and create improved
procedures to ensure that tasks are completed in the most effective
and efficient manner.
Experience and qualifications for success
- A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in Anthropology or a closely
related field. Master's Degree is preferred but not required.
- Five years of experience working as a field archaeologist in
California and/or the Great Basin.
- Participation in an accredited field school or equivalent
- Ability to pass a Motor Vehicle background screening.
- Ability to travel and conduct fieldwork for long hours
(sometimes in inclement weather, rugged terrain, and at high
altitudes) and to carry equipment weighing up to 40 pounds
- Twelve months experience at a supervisory level (crew chief or
above) in California and/or Great Basin archaeology.
- Qualified for listing on the BLM Statewide California Cultural
Use Permit as a Crew Chief.
- Candidates who meet the Secretary of the Interior's
Professional Qualifications Standards in archaeology are
- Experience with the application of standard archaeological
survey and excavation techniques.
- Possess advanced skills and knowledge in one or more specialty
areas. Of particular interest are lithic analysis, geoarchaeology,
historical archaeology, and GPS/GIS technology (using Collector,
Survey 123, and/or Trimble units and ArcPad or TerraSync
- Has completed all aspects of field implementation for a variety
of project types and sizes, regions, and agencies.
- Has provided QA/QC review of field documents and site
- Has lead crews of field technicians on a variety of project
types and sizes, regions, and agencies. Ability to lead a large
crew and to coordinate several small crews on a project.
- Ability to work long hours in the field plus additional hours
organizing paperwork daily.
- Ability to make appropriate decisions in the field concerning
staff assignments, problem solving, and safety.
- Extremely organized and meticulous with ensuring survey,
documentation, and paperwork are complete.
- Ability to provide guidance and critique of crew performance as
per company guidelines.
- Strong communication skills, both verbal and technical
- Has enough experience to be able to easily deal with the
unexpected (changes in weather, changes in client demands, changes
in crew makeup or size, etc.).
SWCA Environmental Consultants is an established and flourishing
environmental firm, providing a full spectrum of environmental
compliance services. SWCA is an employee-owned company composed of
environmental professionals who specialize in natural and cultural
resource management, environmental planning, and regulatory
With offices across the United States, SWCA is one of the
largest environmental compliance companies and consistently ranks
among Engineering News-Record's Top 200 Environmental Firms. We
offer a team-oriented work environment, and a competitive
compensation and benefits package, including an employee stock
ownership plan (retirement) for full-time, regular employees. Some
benefits are also available to on-call, temporary or part-time
If you would like to contact SWCA regarding the accessibility of
our website or need assistance completing the online application
process due to a disability, please email email@example.com
or call 800-828-8517. This contact information is for disability
accommodation requests only. All other inquiries will not receive a
EOE - women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and
veterans are encouraged to apply.
Keywords: Swca Inc, Pasadena , Archaeological Field Director (Project Archaeologist - On Call Hourly), Other , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!