System Test Bed Lead
Company: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Posted on: January 14, 2019
OverviewWith an unmatched history creating groundbreaking advances in science and technology, JPL has been in the space exploration business since the beginning. Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion, foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
We resonate with people who are looking for ways to go further and offer an opportunity to be part of a team of passionate and dedicated engineers working with some of the world's best capabilities and cutting- edge technology in science, technology, and engineering. The pride of working at JPL's (NASA and Caltech) innovative work culture; we offer a comprehensive benefits plan, relocation, tuition reimbursement and generous Caltech retirement contributions.
The Flight Systems Engineering, Integration & Test Section provides leadership in systems engineering at several levels of system design and integration & test, including the flight system level and the payload level. The Section primarily engages in development phase activities, supports formulation phase activities, post-launch operations; in addition engages in the research and development of advanced systems engineering technologies, methods, and tools, enabling the pursuit of future projects that are presently intractable and/or unaffordable.. The Section's expertise spans a wide variety of systems engineering disciplines, including systems architecting, flight systems engineering, payload systems engineering, electrical systems engineering, fault protection engineering, autonomous behavior engineering, entry descent and landing (EDL) systems engineering, launch vehicle systems engineering, V & V Engineering, Integration and Test Engineering for System Test Beds and Flight Systems.ResponsibilitiesDo you have a passion for space exploration and flight systems engineering? Are you a strategic leader and enjoy the challenge of system development from formulation to implementation?
We invite you to join the Special Programs Systems Engineering Group in the Flight System Engineering, Integration &Test Section as a Systems Test Bed Engineer Level 4 reporting administratively to the Systems Testbed Engineering Group Supervisor and programmatically to the Flight System Engineer.
We seek a self-motivated individual that can work independently and within a team environment, be able to strategically lead teams, and initiate and lead tasks that need to be performed across a spectrum of disciplines with government and non-government agencies.
In addition, you will be responsible to lead the System Testbed team. This is your chance to direct the system testing of a JPL mission, and influence the other teams that you work with.
- Manage the System Testbed team, participating in staffing decisions and employee evaluations
- Plan, direct, and control budgets, schedules, and risks to meet project objectives
- Conduct ongoing assessment of the team's progress and report status to management at project reviews and meetings
- Resolve technical and resource issues; assess highly complex issues and recommend resolution to the team and management; implement resolutions; provide independent risk assessments
- Establish and approve the technical, operational, and functional requirements as well as the interface agreements of the System Testbed
- Work in a lab facility with hardware, ground support equipment and test equipment
- Test and integrate spacecraft hardware and software
- Assure that the quality, accuracy, and integrity of the System Testbed technical documentation, reports, and deliverables comply with JPL standards, project plans, and policies
Must be a U.S. Citizen with an active Top Secret (TS) clearance based upon Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) within a 5-year scope and must be approved for Sensitive Compartmented Information (SCI) accesses.Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical, Aerospace, Mechanical, or Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, or related technical discipline with a minimum of 9 years of related experience; Masters degree with a minimum of 7 years of relevant experience; PhD with a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Expert knowledge in the following areas
- Systems Testbed operations, architecture, design
- System Verification and Validation
- Systems Engineering
- Ability to attend to major assignments without appreciable direction
- Proficiency in exercising discretion and independent judgment in evaluating potential approaches and solutions to critical problems and determining appropriate resolutions
- Proficiency in approving deviations from established policies and procedures
- Proficiency in leading a team and resolving technical and schedule issues including System Testbed requirements development, test development, troubleshooting, training, and interaction with project and line management in order to ensure that project and line deliverables are met on schedule
- Extensive understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in aerospace systems engineering
- JPL/NASA mission experience
- Experience in management of system integration and test element of spacecraft or flight instruments
- Experience estimating staffing resources and costs
- Experience developing, approving, executing, and reporting on automated and manual test procedures
- Experience troubleshooting complex systems using various types of test equipment
- Experience handling and testing Engineering Models and Flight Hardware
- Proficiency in advising management, inside and outside own organization, on system architecture, technical results, or risks
- Complete knowledge of Jet Propulsion Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations across a range of applications
- Complete knowledge of industry and/or academic practices and standards in Systems Engineering
- Familiarity with scripting languages (Python, Ruby)
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world. That is our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, and then search the universe for answers-literally. We build upon ideas that have guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire generations to come. Your mission-your opportunity-is to seek out the answers that bring us one-step closer. If you are driven to discover, create, and inspire something, that lasts a lifetime and beyond, you are ready for JPL.
Keywords: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena , System Test Bed Lead, Other , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!