Senior Hybrid Microelectronics Engineer
Company: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory
Posted on: June 13, 2019
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world.
That's our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search
the universe for answers-literally. We build upon ideas that have
guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire
generations to come. Your mission-your opportunity-is to seek out
the answers that bring us one step closer. If you're driven to
discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and
beyond, you're ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment
situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains
and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion,
foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
Are you passionate about evaluating potential approaches and
solutions to challenging and exciting problems for space missions?
How would you like to be a leading member of JPL's Component
Engineering & Assurance Office? This organization is responsible
for evaluating all Electrical, Electronic and Electromechanical
(EEE) components for reliability related performance; conducts
complex and sophisticated scientific experiments or theoretical
analyses to determine the physical behavior of parts in a space
environment, providing electrical component technical
specifications for procurement to ensure compliance with NASA
flight engineering requirements.
As a Senior Hybrid Microelectronics Engineer, you will be
- Lead the development, evaluation, selection and approval of
advanced hybrid microelectronics from design, construction, quality
and reliability perspectives for use in NASA space missions.
- As a leader and highly qualified subject matter expert, advise
project management on highly complex electronic part selections
that maximize reliability while considering schedule and cost
- Develop engineering specifications and drawings for emerging
and complex hybrid components for space applications.
- Lead technical interface with Mission Assurance Managers,
Cognizant Engineers, and part manufacturers.
- Lead technical surveys and audits of hybrid microelectronics
- Perform highly complex statistical data analysis and risk
assessments on emerging and advanced hybrid microelectronics.
- Evaluate the manufacturing of emerging and advanced hybrid
microelectronics and develop screening methods that effectively
reduce risk of use in space applications.
- Develop an understanding of potential failure mechanisms
affecting advanced and emerging hybrid microelectronics and lead
failure investigations and reliability assessments.
- Serve as a vital team member and lead within the group,
ensuring part reviews, screening, testing, and procurement
requirements meet project milestones.
- Provide mentorship to junior engineers
This position requires a Bachelor's degree in Electrical
Engineering, Physics, Materials Science/Engineering, Applied
Mathematics or related technical discipline with typically a
minimum of 12 years of related experience; a Master's degree in
similar disciplines with a minimum of 10 years of related
experience; or a PhD in similar disciplines with a minimum of 8
years related experience.
Other requirements include:
- Extensive understanding and experience in the selection,
procurement, manufacture, use and testing/screening of high
reliability, state of the art hybrid microelectronics for
- Expert knowledge of circuits, hermetic packaging, and thin and
thick film technology.
- Experience in materials and process of bonding and
encapsulating internal specific passive components (resistors,
capacitors, magnetics) and semiconductor devices (discrete and
- Expert knowledge of MIL-STD-883, MIL-STD-1580 and MIL-PRF-38534
and relevant JEDEC specifications and requirements related to
- Ability to multi-task with an established track record of
meeting schedule milestones.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well with cross-functional teams with design
engineers, line management, and project management.
- Effective use of common computer tools and databases.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Relevant experience in hybrid microelectronics manufacturing or
- DC-DC converter hybrid experience
- Knowledge of NASA parts requirements including
- Experience in reliability modeling (including vibration/stress,
thermal cycling, etc.)
- Refereed Journal Publications
- Contract Technical Management experience.
- Demonstrated leadership skills.
- Ability to obtain security clearance TS/SCI
Connect with Us
Not ready to apply? Connect with us for general consideration.
JPL is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action
employer and will, whenever possible, actively recruit and include
for employment members of underrepresented minority groups,
females, disabled veterans, protected veterans, and otherwise
qualified persons with disabilities. JPL will hire, transfer, and
promote based on the qualifications of the individual to ensure
equal consideration and fair treatment of all.
JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about "EEO
is the Law" click here: eeoc_self_print_poster.pdf
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules
imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of
designated countries unless they are Legal Permanent Residents of
the U.S or have other protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3).
The Designated Countries List is available at
If you are interested in applying for employment with Jet
Propulsion Laboratory and need special assistance or an
accommodation to apply for a posted position, contact our Human
Resources department at (818) 354-5150 or via email at
Written requests may be mailed to: Jet Propulsion Laboratory,
Attention: Staffing and Employment Programs, 4800 Oak Grove Drive,
Mail Stop T1720C, Pasadena, CA 91109
Keywords: NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena , Senior Hybrid Microelectronics Engineer, Other , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!