Welding Technician III
Company: NASA JPL
Posted on: June 20, 2022
New ideas are all around us, but only a few will change the world.
That's our focus at JPL. We ask the biggest questions, then search
the universe for answers-literally. We build upon ideas that have
guided generations, then share our discoveries to inspire
generations to come. Your mission-your opportunity-is to seek out
the answers that bring us one step closer. If you're driven to
discover, create, and inspire something that lasts a lifetime and
beyond, you're ready for JPL.
Located in Pasadena, California, JPL has a campus-like environment
situated on 177 acres in the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains
and offers a work environment unlike any other: we inspire passion,
foster innovation, build collaboration, and reward excellence.
A Welding Technician III in the Propulsion and Fluids Systems
Services Group, is an unique opportunity which is part of the
Mechanical Systems Engineering, Fabrication and Test Division which
engages in research, technology development, and the creation of
sophisticated mechanical, thermal, propulsion, and electronic
packaging systems with expertise that spans the full breath of
mechanical fields and is applied from architectural concept
development through operations. These services are required to
fabricate, assemble, and test electro-mechanical developmental and
flight hardware using metal joining.
* Evaluate drawings and plan layout and procedures for all weld
jobs (e.g. structural welds, propulsion/fluid system tube welds)
including for flight and ground support equipment applications.
* Work with a Weld Engineer to determine appropriate welding
equipment or method based on job requirements.
* Set-up hardware (i.e. fixtures or jigs) for welding according to
specifications (e.g. AWS D1.1, AWS D1/.2, AWS D17.1, and ASME
* Perform flight hardware welds using manual or semi-automatic
welding equipment in various positions (vertical, horizontal or
* Operate grinders, saws, drill presses, lathes, mills, and other
* Support the testing and inspection of welded structures to
* Maintain cleanliness and safety in the welding area.
* Typically requires a High School diploma with a minimum of 8
years of related experience (e.g. aerospace hardware development,
manufacturing or assembly, nuclear, pressure vessels, aviation, or
oil and gas industry); or an Associates with a minimum of 4 years
of related experience.
* Must have extensive understanding and experience in Gas Tungsten
Arc Welding (GTAW) and Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW).
* Experience with two out of the four standards: AWS D1.1, AWS
D1.2, AWS D17.1,ASME Section IX.
* Ability to follow a Weld Procedure Specifications (WPS).
* Ability to pass Welder Performance Qualifications in 6G
* Work with engineering to develop new weld procedure
qualifications and provide written record of process
* Working knowledge of Welding Symbols per AWS A2.4, and
* Understanding of materials preparation for Aluminum
* Experience in or familiarity with precision tube bending and
fabrication methods to support in the build of pressure and fluid
* Test and operate equipment from detailed test procedures and
determine if any adjustments are required (and document
* Work with limited supervision requiring no instructions on
routine work, and general instructions on new assignments.
* AWS Certified Welder (CW).
* Knowledge of pressure/vacuum leak testing.
* Familiarity with orbital welding processes.
* Experience in low volume "one-off" fabrication environment where
schedule and quality define success.
* Operate all shop tools, including manual mills, lathes, and press
* Ability to work closely with team members, long hours in a
sometimes-high stress environment.
* Highly energized and self-motivated.
JPL is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race,
color, religion, national origin, citizenship, ancestry, age,
marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition,
genetic information, pregnancy or perceived pregnancy, gender,
gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, protected
military or veteran status or any other characteristic or condition
protected by Federal, state or local law.
In addition, JPL is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
EEO is the Law.
EEO is the Law Supplement
Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision
The Jet Propulsion Laboratory is a federal facility. Due to rules
imposed by NASA, JPL will not accept applications from citizens of
designated countries or those born in a designated country unless
they are Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S or have other
protected status under 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3). The Designated
Countries List is available here.
Keywords: NASA JPL, Pasadena , Welding Technician III, Professions , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!