Research Technician Assistant
Company: California Institute of Technology
Posted on: June 21, 2022
Research Technician Assistant
Job Category: Fulltime Term
Exempt Overtime Eligible: Overtime Eligible
Benefits Eligible: Benefit Based
Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that
marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative
tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on
finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about
what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech
The Stathopoulos Lab is searching for a highly motivated individual
who will work full-time as part of a team to carry out studies on
gene expression. The work includes aspects of experiments to create
transgenic fly stocks (PCR, plasmid generation, injection,
screening), genetics and mutant analyses (fly crosses, cuticle
preps, in situ hybridization), as well as live in vivo imaging
(single- and two-photon confocal microscopy). Work includes
maintaining fly stocks, ordering supplies, and conducting
independent research in a laboratory that uses Drosophila as a
model system to study gene expression. This is a 2 year term
Essential Job Duties
- Manage lab stocks (fly stocks, DNA, antibodies) and stock
- Design DNA constructs and inject embryos to generate transgenic
- Contribute to current research projects using a variety of
techniques: molecular, genetic, genomic, and proteomic methods.
Work in collaboration with the PI as well as other members of the
- A highly motivated and qualified candidate may develop
- Other duties as assigned.
- BS/BA in Molecular Biology, Genetics, or other related field
required by the date of hire.
- Good practical experience in all basic molecular biology
- Ability to learn new skills related to genetics, use of
microscopes/imaging, and biochemistry.
- Perform work in a neat and orderly manner.
- The ability to work as part of a team.
- An interest in developmental biology.
- Bachelor's degree in science with an educational emphasis in
- Previous experience in a genetics, molecular and cellular
biology, and/or biophysics.
Specifically, experience in molecular biology techniques such as
the following: DNA isolation, restriction analyses, PCR, and
Western analyses; genetic analysis, preferably experience in
Drosophila genetics; and using computer software including Excel.
Ability to program using Python is preferred but not required.
To be considered for this position please visit our web site and
apply on line at the following link:
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected
veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Keywords: California Institute of Technology, Pasadena , Research Technician Assistant, Professions , Pasadena, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!